Pioneer in eco-construction
Club Med is renowned for the landscape integration of its Resorts all over the world, and relies on the principles of local construction
PROTECTION OF BIODIVERSITY, FROM THE VERY BEGINNING
- Native spices are conserved or reintroduced
- Natural and landscaped areas : built-up surfaces cover only 7% of the total site surface
- More than 1000 ha of primary forest have been preserved for decades in Rio das Pedras and Cherating
DEVELOPMENT OF THE ECO-CERTIFICATION FOR THE CONSTRUCTION
- Valmorel, first moutain hotel certified with France HQE* label
- Val Thorens Sensations certified with the THPE** label in 2014
- Looking for renowned environmental certifications for all the new Resorts projects
- High Eco-standards
- Creation of a BREEAM eco-certification referential specially adapted to a Club Med Resort
- In 2018, the Grand Massif Resort Club Med Samoens Morillon obtained BREEAM “New Construction” certification (pass level) and in early 2019, Arcs Panorama obtained Breeam “New Construction” certification (Good level).
PROMOTION OF THE GREEN INNOVATION
- Natural swimming pool at Guilin (China) and Da Balaia (Portugal)
- At Kani Finolhu Villas (Maldives), 30% of electricity is generated by solar energy with 6 000 m² of PV solar panels
- Ecological treatment of water through Jardins Filtrants® in La Plantation d’Albion, Yasmina and Guilin
- Optimized leading test of equipment through presence detectors in Opio (EDF « smart energy » award)
- Test ongoing on Biaxial solar trackers at Cap Skirring
- High-temperature heat pumps for the preparation of sanitary hot water in La Pointe aux Cannoniers
CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION
- Anticipate beach erosion involves locating away from the shoreline, laying out beaches with an understanding of the complex systems which govern how they function, opting for flexible solutions rather than heavy laying out. It also means supporting scientific research in this domain
- To cope with the snowfall decline, our mountain Resorts are located at high altitude or are close to large ski areas.
- Opening during two seasons and developing additional winter activities helps to be less dependent on snowfall.
- In 2018, the group initiated a Science Based Targets approach to define reduction targets in line with scientists’ recommendations to limit global warming to 2°C.
Climate : what is Club Med doing ? Click here to learn more.
* : HQE: High Environmental Quality
** : THPE: Very High Energetical Performance