Certified responsible stays
Club Med’s commitment to sustainable tourism is based on solid basis, attested by internationally recognized certifications:
100% OF NEW RESORTS OR IMPORTANT RENOVATION CERTIFIED
Club Med is committed to eco-certifying the construction of all its new Resorts with BREEAM (or an equivalent certification depending on the region of the world), one of the most recognized international and independent eco-construction certifications in the world, which promotes the design and construction of different types of buildings.
Club Med’s Construction and Sustainable Development teams worked with the BREEAM teams to create, in October 2017, the first CLUB MED – BREEAM “Resort” eco-construction standard, the first standard specially adapted for Resorts. Its specificity lies in the composition of several buildings spread over large areas.
ALMOST 80% OF RESORTS GREEN GLOBE CERTIFIED TO DATE, OBJECTIVE OF 100% IN 2021
The Green Globe certification is one of the most demanding international and independent sustainable tourism certification.
This standard rewards establishments in the tourism sector that are committed to improving the environmental and social management of their activity.
The certification is based on more than 350 criteria and on a process of progress necessary to obtain its renewal each year.
The 350 criteria evaluated (including 70 mandatory) are divided into 40 themes around 4 pillars of sustainable development:
- sustainable management
- cultural heritage
- the environment
Obtaining certification depends on an on-site audit that determines if the resort reaches at least the average for each theme.
Certified resorts are audited on-site every two years by independent Green Globe accredited auditors and remotely in other years.
Green Globe is a certification recognized by the GSTC (Global Sustainable Tourism Council) that validates the seriousness of sustainable tourism certifications.
GREEN INNOVATIONS : In addition to certification, Club Med’s construction Eco-Standards require the systematic integration of green innovations into construction projects, in order to test new technologies and high-potential processes
“CIRCUITS DECOUVERTE BY CLUB MED” CERTIFIED BY ATR SINCE 2017
ATR (Agir pour un Tourisme Responsible/Acting for Responsible Tourism) federates French tour operators striving to build their tours responsibly, to support the development of local economies and preserve the environment.
Discovery Circuits by Club Med has been certified in 2017. To obtain and maintain the label, an annual audit is carried out by the external organization ECOCERT in order to guarantee 16 commitment criteria related to these issues.
This label ensures the preservation of the authenticity of each destination, the beauty of the environment and the customs of our guests.
Here is a snapshot of several of our commitments:
- Limiting pressure on sensitive areas by moving away from the beaten track and avoiding high attendances.
- Hosting smaller groups with passionate local guides trained in sustainable development
- Offering authentic experiences and provoke privileged encounters with the local population
- Supporting the economy of the host countries through the discovery of typical cuisine and local crafts
- Offering more sustainable activities or alternative and environmentally friendly accommodation
- Integrating responsible tourism requirements into our contracts with local service providers
- Raising awareness on sustainable development among local guides through various tools and training courses
GREEN LEADERS BY TRIPADVISOR®
More than 20 Club Med Resorts have been recognized by TripAdvisor® for their eco-responsible best practices and have been awarded EcoLeader status.
Greenleaders by Trip Advisor allows travellers who are increasingly interested in booking an eco-friendly stay to identify the most environmentally friendly establishments. Among the requirements :
- Monitoring energy consumption regularly
- Using more than 75% energy-saving bulbs
- Ensuring a program for the reuse of towels and bed linen
- Enabling the recycling of at least 2 types of waste
- Training staff on good environmental practices
- Informing customers on our ecological initiatives
Our primary source of renewable energy? Our G.Os, of course. The G.Ms know it well. What they are less familiar with, is how efficiently our resorts are managed behind the scenes, especially regarding the responsible management of water, energy and natural parks.
Club Med manages its progress through its global environmental monitoring system, Tech Care.
Action speaks louder than words:
- Active support for the economic and social development of the host area
- Respect for local communities
- Efficient water management and biodiversity protection
- Energy savings
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- Air quality protection and noise management
- Solid and liquid waste management
- Awareness of G.Ms on sustainable development issues
- Implementation of a comprehensive roadmap
- More than 15,000 G.Os are trained each year in sustainable development.
- The “Green G.O.” profession was also created at Club Med Cherating and Kani to coordinate and develop the ecological initiatives of these resorts. It also helps to train our staff in sustainable development and raises awareness among our customers through Nature activities.
* HQE (High Environmental Quality) is a French certification that promotes best practices to limit the environmental impact of construction projects.
** THPE (Very High Energy Performance) is an official French label that certifies the energy, health and environmental performance of a building. Conventional energy consumption must be 20% lower than the reference consumption